Since it's getting to be the time of year for family photos, (as soon as all this rain stops, lol), I thought it would be a good time to give you some tips on how to have a better session with your family this Spring! If you’re preparing for a photo session with your children, you may be feeling a bit apprehensive. Children aren’t always easy to deal with, which is why the below tips will definitely come in handy before your upcoming photo session.
1. Don't make a huge deal out of it. If you're stressed out and cranky, your kids will usually pick up on it and act accordingly. Their behavior will usually be better if you are relaxed and having fun. You may have to make some compromises to keep the peace such as letting your energetic daughter's hair stay straight instead of curling it because she won't sit still. Focus on the big picture and don't sweat the small stuff.
2. Make it fun. Let the kids have a couple “fun pictures” where they get to pick their own pose or props. You get to keep the more serious photos while they get to keep their silly photos. This way everyone wins. If you are struggling to get your kids to sit still, turn the photo session into a game. Simon Says usually works like a charm.
3. Be prepared. If you're going to be out for several hours, ensure that your children are well rested and have had their nap. Bringing some snacks and activities along is also a great idea. If you are having your own photos taken too then you might want to bring a babysitter or family member along to watch the kids. If you happen to be shooting in a remote location, you never know when you might need something like bug spray, tissues or a first aid kit so bring that along too.
4. Be patient. Save your sanity by trying not to control the photo session too much. Sometimes the best photos come from kids just doing their own thing. Work with me as your photographer and your photos will look fantastic.
5. Have a chat. Get your children talking to both you and me about topics such as school or their favorite songs. This allows them to feel more comfortable around your me as the photographer and will also give your me a chance to capture a few candid and cute expressions.
Be sure to book your Nashville family photo sessions soon as Spring spots will fill up quickly!
Contact me at 801-889-8519 to schedule your session today!